Out with the Old, In with the New Courtyard

To start the new year, Lenoir City High School has received some exciting news! Thanks to Knoxville TVA Employees Credit Union, our very own courtyard will be renovated! Our desires and wishes are arising—and quickly becoming reality—with the generous grant LCHS has received. 

In 2010, Knoxville TVA Employees Credit Union started a “Foundation for Education,” Simply Smart. The foundation provides eligible public high schools in the Johnson City, Blount, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox, Loudon, Roane, Sevier, and Sullivan counties grants up to $1,500.00. According to KTVAECU, this money can be used for “classroom projects and needs.” In this case, LCHS is putting the donation towards a reconstruction of the courtyard. Steven Code, an engineering teacher here at Lenoir City High School, contributed a great deal to the process of receiving the $1,500 grant. 

“All students and teachers in the school would benefit from the finished project with a permanent well-designed outdoor area for multiple uses,” Code said.

Code envisions a design for the space that will be useful for all students and faculty. In addition, Code entertains the idea of adding some diverting activities to the courtyard along with the renovations.

“Examples of possible solutions would be an area where classes could be held outside, a bocce court and other yard games, and an outdoor extension of the cafeteria,” Code said.

While the updates will service everyone at the school, the modernization of the space will have a great advantage for students taking engineering courses. 

“The 30 students in the Engineering I and Engineering Practicum classes would benefit by experiencing all steps of the design process from the initial ‘Problem Statements’, to the final building of the project,” Code said. 

After all, change is needed every once in a while. Switching up your typical environment can help you feel content and satisfied, especially when you’re in that environment daily. With this $1,500 grant, Lenoir City High School can start 2023 the right way—out with the old, in with the new!