News Herald Opportunity

Juniors Fallon Sherrill, Kyra Grason, and Ava Lawhorn pose for a photo.
Ellie Bamfield

A little over a week ago, a journalist from the Lenoir City News Herald visited the school to offer internships to students who wanted their writing featured on their platform. Juniors Ava Lawhorn, Kyra Grason, and Fallon Sherrill took advantage of this wonderful opportunity in order to get their work out there. With this new level of publication, Lawhorn, Grason, and Sherrill are not only building a successful pathway for themselves, but for the school and our journalism program as a whole. 

Ava Lawhorn (11), student and editor of the school newspaper, LC Panther Press, expresses her emotions towards having her work published on such a large platform. Although she is an insanely skilled writer, working alongside people who write professionally is rather intimidating. 

“I’m nervous because it’s definitely a larger publication and these people do this as a job and I’m only 17, so it’s kinda crazy that my work is going to be published in the News Herald,” Lawhorn said.

Having the chance to get your work published in the News Herald of Lenoir City is something that most students could never even dream of. Kyra Grason (11), is thrilled to kick off the start of her internship next week. Since Grason plans on pursuing a journalism related career after high school, this is a phenomenal way for her to prepare for the workforce. 

“It definitely feels like a brand new door has opened for me and I’m super excited to work with the News Herald. I feel like this is gonna help me not only improve my writing skills but also help me prepare for one of my future plans,” Grason said.

Even though Lawhorn, Grason, and Sherill were the only students interested in taking the internship, this is very beneficial for all journalism students. Although we have our own school website to publish our work, LC Panther Press, the publication received in the Lenoir City News Herald is incomparable. Fallon Sherrill (11), shares her thoughts behind what this means for our journalism program.

“I feel like having your work published in the News Herald is a good opportunity to get what we write seen by other people since not that many people look at the Panther Press. There are a lot of people [at the News Herald] who are willing to mentor us and make what we write better,” Sherrill said. 

Ultimately, being featured in the News Herald is nothing but good news for Lawhorn, Grason, Sherill, and all of us students involved in journalism. Publication is key for success, improvement, and for new opportunities beyond the News Herald to flourish.