Farms, foals, and feed: FFA Club

Farms, foals, and feed: FFA Club

Here in Tennessee, the makeup of our land is filled with mountains, plateaus, and rolling hills as far as the eye can see. According to the Natural Resources Conservation Service, 41% of the land in Tennessee is farmland” and the economic impact that the farming industry has on our state is $81 billion dollars. With that being said, farms and agriculture as a whole are very important and relevant to Tennessee! 

Since agribusiness is such a significant aspect of our state, many students are interested in getting involved in the industry. In order to do so, LCHS has formed its own FFA Club: Future Farmers of America. Hanna Sexton (10), member of FFA, has been a part of the club since her freshman year.

“We went to Indianapolis for a national convention last year and it was the best thing ever…we also went to Nashville for a livestock judging competition and I met some of my favorite friends there,” Sexton said.

Being in a new environment and exploring new horizons is not only enjoyable but a great way to expand your knowledge. For Shelby McCurry (11), learning about farm animals through competitions has given her insight into her future.

“Being in FFA, I’ve gotten to work with animals and I’ve done livestock judging competitions and horse judging competitions. I plan on being a veterinarian, so [learning] the basic anatomy [of animals] has already helped with that,” McCurry said.

As a student in high school, figuring out what you’d like to do as a career is stressful for the vast majority of students. It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what you’d like to dedicate your life to at such a young age. Luckily, being involved in clubs and learning about what interests you never fails to help guide you in the right direction. The opportunities that Lucas Burrow (10) has received from being in FFA have served a good purpose for him and his future.

“[My favorite part of FFA is] meeting new people and experiencing different things,” Burrow said.

Taking part in a community that’s such a vital part of Tennessee and the U.S. as a whole is a great accomplishment and a wonderful way to make a difference in the world. The future of farming is in the hands of our generation and the ones to come; now is the time to get involved and make an impact!