Student Spotlight: Keira Everett

Keira Everett (11) takes a photo with the stage manager of a theater program.
Keira Everett

Dr. Johnston has been running the theater program here for a few years now and has provided his students with endless opportunities to expand their knowledge of this art form. One student Keira Everett (11) shares her unique experience from one of these programs.

The junior explains what this program taught her and other students, including everything from personal experiences from professionals to how they set up their shows. This program was a great way to learn more about the world of theater.

“It took place at the Hyatt Place in Knoxville! It was a theater tech/stage management class, where one of the stage managers behind the broadway production of ‘Wicked.’ And he talked to us for an hour or so about his experience and all he did. Like the timing, sound, and even how they planned sick days/vacations,” Everett said.

Her passion for all things theater is what made her want to take part in this opportunity presented by Dr. J.

“Dr. J reached out to a few other students and I, suggesting that we take the opportunity. It interested me due to the relation to stage management and the musical ‘Wicked,” Everett said.

According to Everett, the scripts for plays are like a secret code; there are so many different terms that mean so many different things. This is one of the key factors that drew her in. Everett greatly enjoyed learning about the different meanings for each script.

“[The most interesting thing I learned was] probably about the stage management scripts and their meaning! There are so many backstage ‘symbols’ and codes that the managers use throughout the show that are vital to the production,” Everett said.

While she is extremely grateful for this program, Everett had her fair share of challenges while there.

“[The most challenging part of this was] probably the time frame, it was so short and I wish we had more time to learn more,” Everett said.

Despite these challenges, Everett still had a great time! For her, the biggest takeaway from this was all the experience she got and all of the new things she got to learn.

“[The best part was] getting to ask the stage manager questions. He has so much experience and it’s great to learn from him,” Everett said.

It can be scary to put yourself out there and try new things, even when you have an interest in them. However, Everett has proved that taking that leap can be worth it. Her involvement in theater will open many doors for her in the future.