Is It Over For Books?

Books, materials which every student needs, or desires, whether it’s by choice, or just for school–this form of literature is essential to our development, as it is one way we can form our views on the world around us. Though, what happens when our access to books is restricted?

A new law was formed in the state of Tennessee, one that can restrict one’s future access to books down the line. And although this law pleased some, student Cas Williams (12) has a lot to say against it.

“It hasn’t affected me personally, but I’m worried that it will affect children starting school,” Williams said. 

And one of the restricting factors regarding this law is how many teachers now have to list all of the books available in their classrooms, much before students can read them, which is an extremely time-consuming and draining process. This as well leads to the children not being able to read many of the books in their classrooms. 

This has also raised another question, will this law enable students to fall behind in their basic education?

“I feel like children should start school being able to read basic things, like their name or easy children’s books,” Williams said.

Along with this, not only are teachers expected to either keep a record of all their books or refuse children to read but now they are also faced with keeping their students up to the state’s expectations through all of this.

“I think it will greatly affect teachers who will now not only have to teach children how to read their own name, but also bring them up with the curriculum standard,” Williams said. 

So far, this new law has made its impact on the state’s schools, and many are now seeing this as another way that many disgruntled parents can restrict their children’s access to certain books. And many are attempting to find ways to combat this ruling. Though, for now, the teachers of Tennessee will have to adjust to these circumstances.