Summer Nights and Ferris Wheel Lights

The Tennessee Valley Fair is returning to Knoxville! Along with most other events in 2020, the fair was cancelled due to Covid-19 becoming a serious issue. For 2021, the fair is still on, and it will still consist of all the events it has had in previous years. 

An occasion that the fair is widely known for is their competitions. People visit from all over Tennessee to compete in various 4-H competitions where they show off their assorted farm animals. These exhibits are open for everyone to view. More competitions consist of LEGOs and robotics, pageants, cheer and dance, and other organizations such as Boy/Girl Scouts and HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America). This year, the fair is bringing new contests with axe throwing and a pet show with dogs and cats! 

Mrs. Rose, agriculture teacher, is attending the fair with some students who are going to showcase their own animals.

“My favorite part [about the fair] is all of the creative projects that people of all ages have created…[and] watching the FFA and 4-H students show their prize-winning animals.  This takes time, patience, and a lot of hard work to get them ready for the show,” said Rose.

The Tennessee Valley Fair also holds concerts most days during the time they are open. For example, this year on September 18th, The Purple Xperience will be performing. The Purple XPerience is a Prince cover band including members that have worked with a series of incredible artists, won Grammy awards, and even worked with Prince himself! Each night there is a concert, it will begin at 8:00 P.M at the Homer Hamilton Theatre.

Besides watching her students compete in various categories of competitions, there are other reasons why Mrs. Rose loves going to the fair.

“I love going to the fair simply because it allows our students to celebrate agriculture and the history of the state fair. TN Valley has been around for over 100 years! That in itself is a reason to attend,” said Rose.

Other attractions include fireworks every night at 10:30 P.M, a long list of all of the food vendors, and the carnival rides! The Tennessee Valley Fair will begin on September 10th and run through September 19th.