2022 FFA Plant Sale

The annual FFA plant sale took place on Friday, April 15th from 8 am to 3 pm and Saturday, April 16th from 9 to 3 pm at the greenhouse. Flowering annuals, vegetables, boston ferns, and hanging baskets will be available.

Josey Miller, the FFA advisor and agriculture instructor at Lenoir City High School, 

“The proceeds from the plant sale go to fund our FFA and vocational agriculture programs,” Miller said. 

Each year, the sale is run by student volunteers, and everything sold has been cared for and prepared by students. Customers pull up to the greenhouse and browse the selection of plants available, and volunteers help load orders into vehicles. The plant sale takes weeks of hard work from both students and teachers as plants are watered, sorted, and managed.

Hunter Proctor (11) is a member of FFA, and is familiar with the process of caring for the plants to be sold. 

“First you’ve got to plant the seeds and then transplant into 4 packs and baskets. Some we buy as seedlings and plant them into the 4-packs”.

Proctor feels the sale has given him the opportunity to learn more on agriculture. 

“[I’ve learned] a lot about taking care of a greenhouse, like watering twice a day and checking it, that some spots are more dry than others, having to water some places and not others,” Proctor said. 

In addition to plant and greenhouse management, careful financial planning is needed in order to ensure a profit is made. Students assist in the creation of a spreadsheet, which is used to determine the number of plants and supplies to order. Students are able to learn about business, plant science, greenhouse management, and customer service.

The sale is an opportunity for members of the community to come out and support their local school, students, and ag programs. In addition, it provides students with a fun, unique, and educational experience.