New cellphone policy

More stories from Kiara Aikens

Hidden fame
May 4, 2015

As everyone has perhaps heard, the school has recently changed its cellphone policy. For as long as some students can remember, there has been a rule that we are not allowed to have our phones out from the hours 8:20 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., if students are caught with our phones they will be sent to the office and returned at the end of the day. (First offense)

The new rule officially started January 6, 2015.  “I am very much in favor of the new policy,” states Principal Orr via email.

Let’s explore the new policy, shall we?

The policy states that students are allowed to use their phones during lunch and class changes. Violation of the policy will result in the student’s cell phone being confiscated for 3 days or they can pay 5 dollars (in cash) to get it back that day. In the policy, it states that the fact they are giving the students more freedom, they predict the amount of unwanted cell phone use during instructional time will decrease.

So what does this mean for the future? Even more increased use of cellphones? Do the use of cell phones distract students more than or as much as being surrounded by a room full of other students? Obviously distraction is not the entire problem. Another problem is lurking—cheating. When studying for that test did not happen because binge watching Gossip Girl or The Walking Dead was more important at the time…. or when laziness causes calculus homework to not be finished. Just send a picture of the assignment/answers and there is an easy A. But guess what, Students don’t need a cellphone to cheat. There are plenty other techniques that could be used that don’t involve a cell phone. Students are going to cheat, it’s inevitable. Students should also remember that if the new phone policy is wanted to carry on, students should be responsible with what pictures and videos, on and off school property, are being taken. If something is wanted and finally gotten, continue doing what was done to accomplish it or else progress will be lost.  With this new cell phone policy comes more freedom. How will the students use it?