Hybrid or In School?

Only a few weeks into the new year, LCHS students were already given a new hybrid schedule to get used to. In some ways, a hybrid schedule is great: there’s more room for social distancing and students get to wake up later. However, there are lots of benefits to being in school throughout the week, too. Brooke Ion (10) explains her preference.

“I like being in school better, but I completely understand why we need to be online for right now, and I don’t mind it,” Ion said. 

Although Brooke likes being in school the best, she liked last semester’s hybrid schedule more than this semester’s. Brooke explains why last semester’s hybrid schedule worked better for her. 

“I liked how last semester we got to work at our own pace when we were online, but I find it a little more draining now that even when we’re home, we’re on google meets all day,” Ion said. 

Not only did Brooke share her opinions about the school schedule, but so did Emma Clift (10). Emma shares why she prefers to be in school, too. 

“I learn better with hands on things and so I can ask questions right then and there,” Clift said.

A lot of students can agree that the hybrid schedule is difficult. Emma Clift explains why she thinks the hybrid schedule is harder to deal with then being in school. 

“It’s harder for kids to learn and make yourself sit down in the comfort of your own home and do work,” Clift said. 

Although Clift and Ion agree that they’d rather be in school, Elleree Chapman (9) actually prefers the hybrid schedule.

“I kind of like the hybrid schedule, and I feel like the reason why I do is because… I’m part of the black group, and when it’s orange days, I don’t have to wake up so early and I can just get out of bed and eat something,” Chapman said. 

For some people, the hybrid schedule works well. For others, they’d rather be in school. Either way, I think we can all agree that school isn’t the same as it used to be.