Children’s Hospital Hosts Dance For Patients

For the past two years East Tennessee Children’s Hospital has been giving teens an opportunity that they never would have never imagined.  “One Unforgettable Night” is a prom-like dance created to benefit the patients at the hospital. It was held on Sunday at Grande Event Center on Clinton Highway.  This magnificent event was organized by couple, Chrystal Jacobs and husband and WWE Superstar, Glenn “Kane” Jacobs, as well as co-owner of Music in Motion mobile entertainment, Corey Ozair.

Some patients, however, considered “One Unforgettable Night” as more than just a dance.  Benjamin Calvin talks about his amazing night.

“I have been a volunteer at the hospital for my whole life, and with my birth defect, called spina bifida, it means a lot to have a prom where I can still enjoy, despite my inability to walk or attend a normal high school dance,” said Calvin.

Some may wonder how this event affects the children in the past two years. Chrystal Jacobs weighed in.

“For maybe one night a year, just forget about all the stuff going on. Forget about their illness, the things that they’ve been through. some of these children have been through so horrible horrible things,” said Jacobs.

Ozair spoke out about why the event was originally instituted.

“You don’t realize how many kids don’t get to go to their own prom. It’s a chance for teenagers to just be away from the hospital for once and to let them enjoy that school-dance experience,” said Ozair.

Some local celebrities also attended the event, such as Lady Vols basketball players, Lawson Bates from the reality show Bringing Up Bates, and The Voice 2015 runner-up, Emily Ann Roberts. More than 50 patients between the ages of 15-19 attended the dance . 25 volunteers from the hospital and more than 150 chaperones and dates attended this magnificent event. Diamond DeShields, a Lady Vol and junior at the University of Tennessee, explains why she felt the need to attend.

“The kids out here have our full support, and we want to congratulate them on overcoming their battles. I’m always excited to see the smiles on these kids’ faces, and it just makes us thankful for our health and their health as well, because it’s just as important,” said DeShields.

Several local businesses supported the event by donating services such as hair and makeup, a photo booth, and prizes and goodies for gift bags. These generous donations help the teens to get ready for their dance.

Emily Ayres, 15, guest date of Mckaela Tatam, 18, expressed her love for the event.

“I was honored to be able to attend the prom for the first time this year, and I think it’s a lot better than a regular high school prom. It’s important to let people see that everyone can have fun, regardless of disabilities,” said Ayres.

This impacts our local society in major ways. Chrystal Wallace, educator at Lenoir City High School, sheds some light on the event.

“It is amazing to see that these kids are being treated as they should, like normal teenagers. It’s not fair for them to not get to attend their school proms because of disabilities, but this wonderful event allows everyone to get the opportunity,” said Wallace.

In the end, these teens had truly “One Unforgettable Night.”

sources: http://archive.knoxnews.com/news/local/east-tennessee-childrens-hospital-prom-recreates-typical-high-school-dance-3cd23e08-6586-3c81-e053-0-393914261.html/

https://www.wate.com/news/one-unforgettable-night-for-patients-at-east-tennessee-childrens-hospital/834538861