• September 26Homecoming at LCHS

• December 4Don't forget to buy your yearbook! Only 200 left! Only $65 through December 31st (or until we run out) Take to room 306!!

Miami Bridge Collapse

Cody Vineyard, staff writer

Early last week, in Miami, Florida, a bridge collapsed at Florida International University.

This disaster left 6 dead and many injured.  This came as a huge shock to most people and many were mad. However, some people knew that a disaster was coming and that the bridge needed to be checked.

A couple of days before it collapsed, the engineer responsible for the bridge called and left a message  to the state transportation official. In the message, he reported that the bridge “had some unusual cracking” and that it was a hazard. Sadly, the official didn’t listen to the message until after the bridge collapse.

Tess Barnes (11) is one of many people who were shocked to hear the news. She believes that the engineer was at fault here.

“I think the engineers and people in charge at the school should have been more careful.  I saw on the news that they knew it wasn’t totally safe to go on and they still let people and now several people died because of it,” said Barnes.

Barnes was shocked, but at the same time disappointed that no one did anything, even though the “works” had been in progress for a while now.

The difficulties began in 2016. The Florida Department of Transportation talked to the officials of the project and said that one of the pylons of the bridge needed to be moved. After many difficulties about what to do with the bridge’s pylon, it was decided to move it 11 feet to the north. The cost of all of the repairs, moving, etc. was not in the final document. Many people think that the movement of this one pylon could have caused the bridge to deteriorate and fall.

Documents reveal that even the engineers and personnel who worked on the bridge knew something was wrong. Robert Bea, who is an engineering professor at the University of California,   said that the base of the tower may have been more flexible due to being moved closer to the canal. He also said that he doesn’t think that the movement caused it, but moving it did require another steel support to be made and that might have been the cause. The engineer who called and said that the bridge needed to be looked at is receiving backlash.

I think that’s ridiculous and the people in charge of it should be sued or go to jail or something.  They knew it wasn’t completely safe and they still let people go on it which resulted in several deaths,” said Barnes.

Many people have many different theories. Senator Marco Rubio said that, “Tightening of the bridges inner cables could have contributed to the collapse…” He continued, saying that more testing needs to be done.

There were witnesses to the collapse as well. There is even a video circulating around the internet showing the collapse of the bridge as it was caught on tape from a dashcam.

“ I probably would’ve freaked out and not been able to process what had happened at first.  I would’ve called the police first, and then run over and see if we could get anyone out or help them at all.  If we could reach someone, I would’ve tried to help pull them out without making anything else fall or move,” said Barnes.

Her thoughts and reaction was the same as many, as many people stopped and helped. However, this did not stop many tragic deaths. The deaths include Alexa Duran, Alberto Arias, and Brandon Brownfield, who were under the bridge; Navarro Brown, who was working on site; Rolando Fraga Hernandez, who was in their own car; and Oswald Gonzalez, who was a passenger in a car. These are the sad deaths that have been reported and people fear there may be many more.

I think the engineers were just lazy and irresponsible and I hope they get severe consequences for this. It was totally preventable but they just didn’t care to finish their job completely,” said Barnes.

Many also believe that the engineers are at fault. Hopefully next time, the cracks will be acknowledged and will be fixed. Hopefully, this can prevent more deaths in the future.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/21/florida-bridge-collapse-caught-on-dashcam-video-from-highway.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/florida-bridge-collapse-fiu-florida-state-university-project-behind-schedule-over-budget-updates-2018-03-20/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2018/03/16/recovery-efforts-continue-following-florida-bridge-collapse-at-least-6-dead/?utm_term=.dc5061d78c6a

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/bridge-collapse-victims/index.html

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Miami Bridge Collapse”

1. Jerald F Jacobs on April 10th, 2018 9:48 am

As the tension rods were being adjusted the span was becoming less rigid, forcing load into the section not yet adjusted until it failed in shear, under loading it was not designed to carry. There should have been a sequence which detensioned each end first and finished in the middle, not the end.

[Reply]

2. JC on April 10th, 2018 10:01 am

Bad design. And they know with certainty by now why it collapsed. Don’t expect the truth and don’t expect those responsible to be held responsible. Not going to happen. They will just say it was just an accident.

[Reply]

3. aaron on April 10th, 2018 4:58 pm

What the heck does an 11 year old named Tess Barnes have to do with this? Stop quoting unknowledgeable children.

[Reply]

aaron Reply:

I was unaware this was a high school newspaper. Carry on Cody, keep chattin’ up Tess.

[Reply]

4. C A on April 10th, 2018 10:01 pm

Where was the City Construction and building inspectors ?

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.