State Swim Meet Held in Nashville

The state swim meet was held February 12th and 13th in Nashville, Tennessee.

Five LCHS students attended the meet. Those students were Jacob Gump (12), Nathan Holliman (9), Rachel Scheffer (9), Seth Gates (12), and Hunter Blue (10).

There were no personal best times, but Blue did beat his time in the 100 free during the 400 free relay. Both of the men’s relays also scored best times.

Gump, Holliman, Gates, and Blue all swam in the 200 medley relay and the 400 free relay. Jacob Gump also swam in the men’s 500 freestyle and 100 backstroke. Gates swam in both the 100 and 200 freestyle. Blue swam in the 50 freestyle. Scheffer swam in the women’s 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke.

Holliman was the only freshman to attend the state meet. “[My favorite part was] just being able to be there with all of my friends on the swim team, and just getting a taste of it as a freshman…the amount of talented swimmers there. It was amazing to watch them swim,” said Holliman.

Gump was one of the seniors that attended. This was his last year to be able to attend the meet. “It’s a hard challenge to achieve especially for younger swimmers,” Gump said, “It’s cool to see the younger swimmers’ first time at state”. He said more swimmers attended the meet than last year. “It’s a big accomplishment for the team to have a lot of people,” he said.

The state meet next year will be held at the University of Tennessee on February 10th and 11th.

There will be a banquet held for the LCHS swim team on March 4th at 6:00 pm at First Baptist Church in Lenoir City.