Senior Advice

Senior journalism students offer advice to upcoming journalism students.

Dakota (Rojota) Qualls

Dear Underclassman,

Enjoy these few years you have in high school because they will be some of the greatest times of your lives. You are going to make some of the greatest friendships you will ever have and have some of the best experiences you will ever have. You also may have heartbreaks and hard times but they will only make you stronger and shape you into the amazing person you all can be. Be kind to one another because no one wins with harsh words or unkind acts. Eventually you will just feel worse about yourself for having done those things. Be accepting and loving of all those around you. It will make you feel better about yourself and will help you forge relationships you otherwise would not have had. Good luck and farewell you all have the potential to be excellent.

“The Road goes ever on and on

Down from the door where it began.

Now far ahead the Road has gone,

And I must follow, if I can.”

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Gavin Ramsey

As a freshman, I was told high school will be the best four years of your life if you let it.

The best advice I can give is to become involved in your school. Go to the football games, see the concerts and plays, join a club or three, make new friends, make good grades in all your classes, and so on.

Treat everyone with an open, calm mind and you will do just fine.

Making a good first impression on someone is essential in becoming successful in what you do.

Always be polite, courteous, and friendly to everyone and the same will be reflected to you. Hold the door for people, use good manners, be nice to people, and so on.

Haley Price (business manager 2015)

Dear LCHS students,

The entire reason I am writing this is because my time at this high school has come to an end. I have mixed emotions about these past few years, I have had memories and trials, I have won at some things and lost at others. Either way on one hand I feel my four years have been as slow as possible and on the other it feels like my time here just began. It’s odd to think that in just a few days I will be throwing my cap and starting my adult life. I couldn’t have been where I am without these past four years. I know that it is typical to compare life to a rollercoaster but now as I am growing I see why this comparison exits. From the time I walked into the doors of LCHS as a scared 14 year old freshman to now, as I’m about to finish my last days, my life has taken many turns. At times I’ve went through experiences at 100 mph and others I’ve slowed down to 30. I’ve reached the high parts and unfortunately the low, and now this coaster is entering the exit of one journey and I am about to board another. So in writing this letter to you all I hope I achieve two goals 1) I want to remind you to stop and enjoy this time and 2) I want to give you a reason for why you need to be open to new things.

I have taken so many different classes while enrolled at LCHS, from agriscience to history of rock and roll and from personal computing to journalism I have had a tremendous amount of different experiences in class. Obviously like any other student I have enjoyed some years more than others, some semesters more than others, and some classes more than others. But, now that it is all done I can honestly say that each class I have completed in these classrooms has molded me into who I am today. Through the english math science and social studies classes I have gained new appreciation for the subjects I once thought would be the end of my life. Through electives like small animal care and greenhouse I found a new love for the outdoors and living things. Nothing has taken an impact on me, though, like journalism. Even though this class was in no way at the top of my list it has become my fondest memory at LCHS. I am so thankful looking back that Ms. Wallace changed my schedule (without my permission) and made me take this class. It is here I not only strengthened my writing ability, but that I could also express my artistic ability in design and where I learned skills that I know without a doubt will help me until I die. I also made friends here that I’ve shared so many experiences with, including NYC, and that I will tell my children about one day. If I had went and changed my schedule like I had planned then I wouldn’t have experienced the greatest peaks of my high school years and those high points wouldn’t have been half the rush. So, if something seems horrible and you think you just cant do it give it a try anyway. Dont knock it before you try it.

LIVE LIFE! Do not be in such a hurry to grow up because although I haven’t experienced a fraction of it yet, I have come to the realization that it sucks. Enjoy your time with your friends and teachers. Also, appreciate your teachers! I am guilty of not appreciating the teachers that I had but now after spending so much time with a certain journalism teacher *cough cough* the walnut I have realized how much time (and money) a teacher gives up just to help get you through a class. We get so caught up in the “stress” of being teenagers that we never take the time to say thank you to our teachers or our parents. These are the people who have gotten you from point A to point B and there is no excuse to let them go without any appreciation from you. Slow down and take all the time you get, rather than focus on the drama focus on the fun. Take a few days off work, if possible, and go hang out with your friends. There is a time to be an adult and that time isn’t now. These are the last experiences you will get as a kid so dont give them up just to regret it later on. In the end I wish I had done just that, slowed down.

Thank you LCHS for an awesome four years and although I sound sad about it, I am so happy to get out of here.

Lane Vineyard

So you want to be in Journalism, huh? Well I need to set some things straight for you before you just strut your little self up in my place all willy nilly.

My first piece of advice, my friends, is to get your work done in a timely manner. When you are assigned an article or a spread in the yearbook, please please please get it turned in on time. Whenever you don’t work on your spread or get it completed by its due date, it puts so much stress on your editor, the lovely Holly Thompson. I know that you can’t fully understand the struggle and stress that comes with being the editor (I don’t either), but you have to remember that whatever you don’t finish, she has to finish. If you don’t get your work done, not only will your grade suffer, but so will your editor and Mrs Wallace.

My second piece of advice is to not let the stress overwhelm you. Trust me when I tell you that there will be points in the year where you are so stressed that you will want to rip your hair out (and maybe other peoples’ hair), but please don’t let it ruin your day! Those days when you realize your spread is almost due, and it’s no where near finished are usually the worst. More than once, I allowed myself to become too stressed out, and my work suffered because of it. Now that the year is over, I regret letting that happen, because all I needed to do was just finish my work. Please do not let it consume you. If you are honestly that overwhelmed with your assignments, just talk to Mrs Wallace about it; I guarantee that she will listen to what you have to say and try her best to help you out. This class is a safe place where you should do your work, but still enjoy yourself while doing it. One of the greatest things about journalism is that it shows you how to have fun, while still getting your classwork done.

One thing Mrs Wallace, as well as the majority of the staff, opposes more than anything else is drama. Don’t dare bring drama into the Journalism room, because if you come to class in a cruddy mood, you’re going to pass it along to everyone else. We all got to a point in the year where we were so comfortable with each other that we pass along our bad moods like colds. we did have quite a bit of drama this year, but every time we all got into a argument, we made up and learned from the mistakes. Although the problems were always resolved, no drama or problems at all would be nice too. Journalism is more relaxed than most classes, but it is still a class. You wouldn’t be starting petty arguments on a daily basis in your other classes, so do not do it in this class. If you’re causing issues in class that are distracting people from doing their work, Mrs Wallace will happily do something about it. If you want people in this class to take you seriously, you have to take the class in general seriously.

Yes, I know how intimidating Mrs Wallace may be at first, but believe me when I say, in her own words, she is “a big marshmallow.” She may be known for being tyrannic and strict in the hallways, but she’s just trying to keep her street cred. She is honestly the most understanding and sympathetic teacher that I have ever had. As long as you do what she asks of you, get your assignments done, and give her the respect she deserves, she will do the exact same for you. She is naturally likeable, and can actually be hilarious when she wants to be. If she makes jokes, laugh at them! She is a strong believer that school is not just a place for education, but also a place where you should be able to have a good time. I made more memories with Wall-e in one year than I did being in band for nearly four years. The Journalism environment is so welcoming and safe. The minute you walk into Wall-e’s classroom, you just feel comfortable; like you’re not even at school anymore. Please don’t fear the Wall-e; love her to death and enjoy your time with an awesome teacher and friend.

I am so thankful for this class. I think back now, and regret not joining earlier. For me, this class was something that I looked forward to every single day. If I was having a bad day, I reminded myself that it would get better in third block. There were times when I went in there and broke down in tears, and I was comforted by everyone in there. Mrs Wallace held me while I was sobbing, snot and tears running down my face, and consoled me until I felt better. Things like that are so important to people at our age, and I am so grateful for it. I am going to miss my journalism family the most after I leave, but I promise that you will all see me again. I’ll be here visiting when I’m not in Boston. i can’t wait to see what you all will do next year.