Categories:

Vibrant Traditions

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage at Lenoir City High School
Vibrant Traditions

Hispanic Heritage Month is a celebration that honors the culture of Hispanic and Latino Americans. Hispanic Heritage Month is observed from September 15 to October 15. During the 30 days, we recognize the history and culture of Hispanic Heritage. It allows everyone to appreciate others’ cultural heritage. 

On September 15th, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua honor their Independence Day. Lenoir City High School has many students from different countries, such as Salvadorans. Among its students is Angle Cruz (12), who is proud to be Salvadoran. 

“What makes me proud is the resilience of my people, the richness of our culture, and the leadership that brought safety back to our land. El Salvador is not just where I’m from-it’s who I am,” Cruz said. 

Another country that celebrates its independence is Mexico. Mexico commemorates its independence on September 16th. Many students at Lenoir City High School are proud to be Mexican, such as Casandra Fuentes (10), who is proud to be Mexican. 

“It’s a really fun culture and I love being in it for many reasons but my favorite is probably how much love everyone shows for food and our traditions,” Fuentes said. 

Other Hispanic countries recognize their Independence Days in September such as; Chile whose Independence Day is September 18th. Belize also celebrates its Independence Day on September 21. 

This Year, Lenoir City High School teachers, Maria Rios and Greta Smith got together to plan an event that would highlight the 23 Spanish-speaking countries to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. This event was called “International Day” where students in different classes were assigned different countries to represent, and bring in food and posters with facts about that country. Kamyla Gonzalez (10) shares her experience and what she liked about International Day. 

“My favorite thing about International Day was looking at the different cultures and learning some things about them. My favorite food from International Day was tamales” Gonzalez said. 

Lenoir City High School has demonstrated remarkable love and support for its Hispanic community through events such as International Day. The celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month has brought together students and staff, showcasing the rich cultural diversity within the school. We continue to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and we hope you do too. ¡Feliz mes de la Herencia Hispana!