Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

After four long years, the senior class of 2023 is preparing to move onto the next chapter in their lives. Whether they are going straight into the workforce or moving hundreds or thousands of miles away, there is one thing taking up many seniors’ minds: college. Deciding where to go to college, what to study, and how long you would like to go to school takes up a large portion of someone’s school year.

When it comes to college, the distance from your hometown can be a difficult hurdle to overcome. Some students may go to a city over, while others can go to other parts of the state. For Gauge Green (12), who has decided to do his schooling at Berea College in Kentucky, he has many different feelings.

“It feels like I’ve been given an opportunity that most people don’t get, so I don’t want to mess it up. I’m trying to think of what I would need to pack for what is basically a four year trip,” Green said.

One of the most important parts of college decisions is choosing your major and finding a good school for that desired major. Schools can have different strong points and weak points. Some schools may have more specialization in art and other schools can specialize in medical pathways. Megan Osborne (12) was conflicted on her decision for schooling, stuck between Middle Tennessee State University or East Tennessee State University.

“My major was a large factor in my school decision. The school I chose has higher passing rates overall,” Osborne said.

Above all else, when deciding where to go for college, students should focus on tuition and scholarships. Every college has different tuition rates, with more prestigious schools having higher tuition rates and other schools being lower. However, no matter the tuition, schools and communities offer scholarships, which help students avoid student loans and not have to worry about not being able to afford their college education. High school guidance counselors, like Mr. Sean Royston, spend a lot of their time helping students prepare for college.

“The biggest thing is your ACT and your GPA. Schools will reduce your tuition by using those as a determination and reduce tuition from there. It takes a lot of critical thinking,” Royston said.

Above all else, students should pick a school that they want to go to. They should not feel pressured or persuaded to go to a school that does not fulfill their dreams. College is a difficult decision to make, and having to leave your families and friends behind can be a painful, heart-wrenching experience. And, above all else, students should have fun and enjoy their time as they move onto this new chapter in life.